‘Victorian views of the lake and fells’
2.5 to 3.5 miles. A short climb on good paths with views of the Lake and distant fells.
The direct route involves a steep descent, which can be wet & slippery – boots are recommended. This can be avoided by following the alternative route.
There is limited parking at Far Sawrey, so if not using the bus, you could start the walk from Claife station or the lakeside, where there is ample off road parking.
- From the Sawrey Hotel in Far Sawrey, take the bridleway – near telephone box – which goes around the back of the hotel. Follow this up the hillside keeping right at the first junction after the gate.
- At the next junction keep on the bridleway – signed Windermere Lake Shore/Ferry.
- As you begin to descend there is a footpath on your right – signed Ferry.
At this point you have a route choice – the path to the right has some steep sections descending through woodland with exposed tree roots, which can be slippery, especially in wet weather.
- If in doubt take the following alternative:
If you do not fancy the steep descent, there is an easier, but slightly longer alternative. Go past the path on the right and descend gradually towards Lake Windermere. At the shore turn right and follow the metalled road for about a mile to a road junction. Turn right and walk a short distance up the steps to Claife Station (5 below)
- If you are happy, take the path on the right through the woods. There are excellent views down to Lake Windermere and the distant fells (look down through the trees on yachts on the blue lake water). The path is narrow, easy at first, but then descends steeply to Claife Station. You should take care here as there are many exposed tree roots, and the path can be slippery, especially in wet weather.
- From the station descend the steps on the right – signed Ash Landing/Hill Top. At the bottom turn right again – signed Hill Top/Sawrey.
- Walk through the car park and follow the footpath at the side of the road, at first on the right, before crossing the road to the left hand side. There is then a short section on the road to a left hand bend. Take care with oncoming traffic.
- At the bend turn right – signed Far Sawrey/Near Sawrey and walk up the hill. Go straight across a small road and through a stile.
- Follow this path – marked with yellow arrows – as it winds its way through the various buildings, before dropping back down to the road at the hotel where you started.