‘With the inclusion of Wray Castle and the Lake Windermere shore walk, this walk has just about everything.’
4.5 miles. Stout shoes or boots recommended.
A circular valley walk from the village of Outgate through woods and open countryside with some stunning views of the central fells
- From the Outgate Inn walk out of the village towards Ambleside (north) as you leave the village you will find a bridleway on your right. (Don’t be confused by an earlier footpath on the right). Take the bridleway, which leads into the woods on a good if somewhat rough path. From the path there is good view of Latterbarrow to the right.
- As you approach Blelham Tarn you will reach a path junction, go straight forward here signed – Low Wray/Wray Castle
- Follow the bridleway past the Tarn on your right for about 1 mile before exiting onto a quiet lane. Turn right, and after the entrance to Wray Campsite you will reach the castle gatehouse on the left.
- Turn left here and follow the path down to Wray Castle NT – grounds open all year – the house has limited opening. Opposite the entrance to the house watch out for some steps on the left leading down to a path, go down the steps and follow the path to junction.
- Turn left signed – Wray Boat House/Lakeshore.
At the lakeshore turn right, signed High Wray Bay, and follow the shore first through woods and then through pasture.
- At the junction with a bridleway turn right, signed Wray Church/Castle Gate House, follow the bridleway, which after about 300 yds leads you, back to the lane adjacent to entrance to the castle.
- Turn left after a 100 yds watch out for the footpath on your right.
- Go past the entrance to the castle for further 100 yds before a footpath on the right is reached.
- Take the path through the fields. Cross a slate bridge over a stream, and then bear left following the field edge and intermittent yellow marker arrows. Go through several stiles before reaching a cottage on the right. Go through the gate past the cottage and up the lane ahead.
- At the top of the lane turn right towards High Tock Farm, signed, Loanthwaite/Hawkshead/Outgate. At the farm bear left, again following the yellow markers, up the slope to a stile and path junction. Go over the stile and follow the wall, signed Low Wray. Drop down to a gate and turn left, signed Outgate.
- Follow the path, which is a little indistinct in places, through the fields, at one stage crossing a small stream at a ford. There are several gates/stile before you reach a path junction. Turn right here and follow the path back into Outgate.