Distance – 23 Kilometres / 14.5 miles – Approx Time 2 – 4 hours
Terrain – A good mix of bridleway, green lane, forest road and tarmac road with plenty of technical descents and climbs.
- Start at Hawkshead, from here head west uphill along Vicarage Lane to the bridleway into Grizedale Forest. Turn left along the forest road towards Moor Top Car Park.
- Just before Moor Top there is a bridleway marked heading southwest. After approx 3 kilometres take the bridleway to your right at ‘The Park’ and head west down hill towards Lawson Park.
At Lawson Park follow the bridleway continuing downhill
- Northwest towards How Head. Turn right onto the main road and follow the road around the north end of Coniston Water.
- Turn right towards Boon Crag Farm and take the cycle path that follows along side the main road to Boon Crag Farm. Turn Left onto the bridleway that heads northwest towards Low Yewdale.
- When the bridleway reaches the road, cross it and turn right along the permissive cycle path that follows the road northeast to Great Intake. Rejoin the road here and turn left and north, up hill along the road towards High Tilberthwaite.
- Go through the gate to your right and along the bridleway north towards Moss Rigg Wood and the Ford. At the Ford head east along the green lane to Stang End. At Stang end take the bridleway south to Hodge Close.
- Once at Hodge Close Quarry, take the green lane east to High Oxen Fell, and continue east to the main road. Cross the main road with caution, as this is a very busy and fast road. Now continue southeast along the bridleway, known to locals as the mountain road, and head for Knipe Fold.
- Turn right onto the main road and then left along Skinner How Lane. Follow the lane towards Hawkshead Hall, and turn left towards Hall Bridge, where you will turn right onto the main road back into Hawkshead.